To lay down a standard procedure for the cleaning of laboratory glassware.
This SOP is applicable for cleaning of glassware used after analysis in Quality Control laboratory at
- Officers / Executive – Quality Control.
- 4.0) ACCOUNTABILITY
- Manager- Quality Control and Head QA shall be accountable for compliance of this SOP.
6.1 The glassware used in the Quality Control laboratory for analysis shall be cleaned and dried thoroughly before use.
- The glassware shall be cleaned immediately after completion of analysis.
- Remove the contents from the glassware carefully. The corrosive chemicals shall be first diluted in water and then discarded in a flow of water.
- Rinse the glassware thoroughly with tap water before cleaning glassware.
- Rinse the glassware with Hot Dilute Nitric acid (10% v/v) for removal of residual alkaline material.
- Wash the glassware thoroughly with tap water.
- Dip the glassware in solution of 0.5% Labolene neutral pH or 0.5% extra neutral in water for 10-15 minutes. Scrub with nylon brush under the flow of tap water.
- Wash the glassware with tap water till it free from foam.
- Finally rinse the glassware with purified water.
- If glassware becomes dirty or contains coagulated organic matter, clean with chromic acid cleaning solution. Preparation of cleaning solution: Weigh 84gm chromium trioxide in 700ml water and add slowly with stirring 400ml of sulphuric acid. Prepare this solution in a hard borosilicate glass beaker. Use safety glasses during the addition of acid. Wash glassware as quickly as possible after use but if delays are unavoidable soak the articles in water. Cleaning of glassware, which contains hazardous materials, must be strictly performed by trained person.
- Use clean hand gloves for cleaning of glass wares
- Glassware required for microbiological analysis shall be washed separately.
- After washing glassware shall be dried in glassware drying oven maintained at 60°C before use.
- New glassware shall be soaked for 1 to 2 hours in 1% v/v hydrochloric acid and wash.
- During drying all the glassware shall be placed in oven by keeping in an inverted position and allowing the water to come out.
- Stick stains such as grease etc. can be cleaned by 10% sodium carbonate solution or with acetone. Never use alkalis for cleaning.
SOP: Standard Operating Procedure.
v/v: Volume by Volume
QA: Quality Assurance
QC: Quality Control
- DISTRIBUTION LIST
Quality Assurance Department
Quality Control Department
10.0 HISTORY OF REVISION
|Version No.||Date of Revision||Reason for Revision|